Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Letter to Kayleigh

May 2009
Dear Kayleigh,

Great Expectations
The day we heard the exciting news was October 29, 1998. You were due to be born on June 25, 1999. My first reaction was excited, a little scared of not knowing what to expect. Dad’s reaction was scared,. The reaction of family and friends was a combination of emotions- happy, a lot of crying. Some very excited about a new generation. Hopes that you would be healthy, and know that you will be loved by many people. We will always be there no matter what.

Preparations, Preparations
My doctor was Dr. King at The Women’s Clinic. The doctors special instructions were on June 18, 1999. Dr. King said I was dilated to 3 centimeters and if you were not born before June 23, 1999, to come into the hospital to be induced. Dad and I attended Prepared Childbirth Class at the hospital from May 4 - June 8. We also attended Beginner Breastfeeding June 15th. We read Pregnancy - Childbirth and the Newborn. We also received many words of wisdom from family and friends. “It will be okay.” “You will both do fine.” “Breastfeeding - It’s the closest bond you can have with the baby. Just give it a try, if it is that uncomfortable then you can stop.”

The most memorable moments of the pregnancy was our first sonogram was at 10 weeks and 6 days. It was so exciting! We cried, I knew it was a living person inside of me. I had morning sickness for the first four months. I was a bridesmaid in my friend Brooke’s wedding. It was in April and I had to wear a pastel yellow dress. I was seven months pregnant, I felt like an Easter egg going down the aisle. The baby shower was wonderful, we got all of our big items, fifty plus people attended.

The Great Day Arrives
At 6:30am on Wednesday morning of June 23, 1999 we went to United Regional Health Care System 8th Street Campus. We went up to the 5th floor and checked into Labor and Delivery. We were in room #5. Dodad, Nan, MiMi and Uncle Pat were there for moral support. Dr. King delivered you. You were born at 12:15pm, it all went so fast. We couldn’t believe how calm and easy everything was. The Vernon Junior College student said it was her first birth to see and when you were born we all cried.

Up to this point we didn’t know if you were a boy or girl. It was so exciting to hear the doctor say, “It’s A Girl!!!” You weighed 9 pounds and 4 ounces and were 21 ½ inches long. Your hair was black and you had a strawberry birth mark above your tailbone and another on the back of your head.

First Impressions
I said, “Oh My It’s A Girl!!” You were so pretty. I can’t believe you weighed so much. I also thought you looked like me in my baby pictures. Dad said, “It’s a little Amie!” He counted your ten fingers and ten toes. Family and friends couldn’t believe how much hair you had. They all wanted to look at your feet, and commented on how big you were. They thought you looked like me and that you had your dad’s brow line and dimples.

Your name was chosen by dad and I. We had several picked out since we did not know until you were born if you were a boy or girl. If a boy, Tyler James or Andrew Ryan. If a girl Kellsey Ann or Madison Taylor. To us none of them fit so we thought of Kayleigh Marie! The special meaning of your name is: The pleasing smile, a welcome trait, of this gentle one from the strait.

Coming Home
We got to come home on Friday, June 25, 1999. You rode in the car with dad and I, we lived in a duplex in Faith Village. Your first visitor was my best friend Brooke. Your room was decorated in burgundy, navy and cream,. The pattern on your bedding was with bears and bunnies and hearts with plaid.

No one ever said raising a child would be easy. We have a wonderful support system and the love of God to guide us! You are a special miracle from above and we are so proud of the young lady you are becoming. Always remember Philippians 4:13 I can do everything through him who gives me strength.

Love,
Mom and Dad

1 comment:

  1. So sweet! What a wonderful letter Kayleigh will be able to cherish forever!

    ReplyDelete